TIPS FOR GOOD ORAL HEALTH FROM BIRTH TO 12 MONTHS
· 1. Wipe your baby’s gums with a soft, clean, damp cloth twice a day.
· 2. As soon as the first teeth appear, clean them at least once a day (usually at bedtime) with a soft bristle toothbrush designed for babies. Lay your baby on a flat surface or with his head cradled in your lap to brush teeth.
· 3. Avoid leaving your baby in bed with a bottle.
· After 6 months:
· 4. Introduce a sippy cup.
· 5. Avoid juice. If you do offer it, limit juice to no more than 125 to 175 mL (4 to 6 oz) per day, in a cup rather than a bottle and only as part of a meal or snack.
· 6. If a bottle is needed at nap time, offer water rather than milk or juice.
· 7. If you breastfeed before naptime, be sure to clean your child’s teeth before he goes to sleep.
· 8. Never sweeten a teether or soother.